Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Beauty of Life: Humility-- Mark Lauterbach (Philippians 2:1-11)

I learned so much from this sermon. My discipler had me listen to it so as to shed more light on the Gospel and its implications. It's cRAZY when I think about the humility of Jesus Christ. I hope this sermon will be enlightening to you and remind you that even though we have a God that is so incredibly superior than us, He humbled himself and bore all of our sins, so that we may have true fellowship with Him. Can you think about Jesus being born and learning how to walk and talk? Can you think about Jesus crying for His mother's milk? Humility is not humiliating. It is beautiful and wonderful. It means we have a Savior who loves us greatly.

click here to listen to the sermon--> http://www.gracechurchsd.org/sermon/the-beauty-of-his-life-humility/

my notes:
- not only did He die for me, He lived for me--the righteous life I was supposed to live
- we admire humility in others, but view it negatively in ourselves--it feels like loss
- relate humility to our sin -- humiliating

1) perspective of humility we find in Jesus
v. 6~ Jesus is God. He set aside His rights of being God. He compared it to something else and decided His rights weren't worth clinging to.

2) actions of humility we see in Jesus
v. 7-8- he "made himself nothing"; "taking the very nature of a servant" <-- washing disciples' feet; "being made in human likeness"; "became obedient to death--even death on a cross" <-- most shameful, humilitiating form of death ~ from Creator of all things to experiencing what it was like to learn to crawl <-- was dependent on parents ~ he prayed ~ he grew up in poverty
* 2 Cor 8:9- "thought he was rich for your sake he became poor"
- sin curves us in on ourselves
* Gen 3:5- "you will be like God"

application
His humility is our covering
- I do not find peace in Christian life by what I do but what God did perfectly (confess my sin and confess His perfect humility as mine)
His humility is our future
v. 9-11~ utter joy in the presence of God

No comments: